Injurious

 Violence against women is injurious to health. 

 That is the statutory warning shown at the end of the Hindi film "Darlings". Indeed it is - in that film. (All other people in the world get away with all kinds of violence.)

The story is that of domestic abuse. On Alia Bhat by her husband. Like in all such cases, she lets him continue with his violence. Forgiving him each time when he begs and apologizes. Until even her kshama - earth like forgiving nature runs out.

Alia Bhat is a superb actor among her contemporaries. I had loved her acting in Udta Punjab. And in this film too, she has acted superbly and so her Shefali as her mother. The story line is reasonably good.

There is a sub-story told to Alia by her mother. One day there is a flood in the river and the scorpion begs the frog to sail her across the river. Frog is skeptic - how do I know that you won't bite me? It asks. The scorpion replies - if I bite you, both of us will die. I won't.

Then scorpion sits on top of frog, and frog starts swimming across the river. Half way through the river scorpion bites the frog. Frog asks in shock. Why did you bite me? And scorpion replies - mai bichu hu. ye mera svabhav hai - I am scorpion. Biting is my nature.

So Shefali tells this story to her daughter explaining that some men never change, they are like bichu - the scorpion. They can't help it - they have to bite you. 

Let me tell you the honest reason why I watched the film. I chanced upon a youtube video about how people are protesting against the film and want it to be banned. So.

What I found different in the film though is unlike most mothers who advise their daughters to adjust and try to do your duty and accept the life and your husband as he is, Shefali keeps advising her daughter to leave him behind before he kills her. May be the opinion of the society is not the major reason for poorer people unlike us middle class people. May be there are some women who don't give a s** about others' opinion and don't think end of marriage is the end of world for their daughters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation