Lipi aka font

 I wanted to add hover text with English meaning for Sanskrit words - as the website greenmsg does. I had done it earlier. But forgot how to. Then google told me after a while - that it is title attribute with span tag - because for each word.

Then came the problem of typing the whole Sanskrit text. I do have Hindi keyboard - Devnagari keyboard and almost have mastered it. But of course it will take more time than copy pasting the text. 

How do I copy paste the Sanskrit text? Which was taken from a pdf file? Because it uses a font other than unicode , so it not compatible.

As per son's advice I tried asking chatGPT - a fancier google. But without ugly and misleading promoted answer. Not yet. It initially told me. It should be in unicode.

Some how it sounded like a man. So sure of himself never even thinking that he may be wrong. When I told it, that it is wrong, it suggested, I check the font using online font search tools.

These tools - there are plenty. But none of them could tell me the correct font. Then I resorted to hindi OCR reader which easily converted image to proper Hindi text.

But this may not be the correct way. I tried getting more information on font recognition. One answer told that Adobe acrobat reader tells the font name in its properties tab.

I tried installing acrobat reader in my mac. But since it was not from app store - the software could not be installed. I dared not use command line tweaks to install the said software. 

Then finally I downloaded the same Sanskrit pdf file into Linux mint system and one of pdf reader software had font tab - which told the font was Chanakya. 

Then the work was easy. I converted Chanakya to unicode - copied, pasted. Added title attribute to each and every word with meanings. 

And luckily I could get meanings for each and every word in learnsanskrit.cc website. Which was better - because for my previous translations like Upanishad etc, I could not get word translation, nor the verse translation correctly.  If I could not find, a word it turned out, that word was wrongly converted.  

So here is the final output. The Panchatantra story with individual word translation and final translation at the end. 

And don't you forget read some Subhashita with their meanings and hovered meanings. 

P.S.: 

As it turned out, adding title attribute to the html, helps only in laptops. In mobile screens, where I think most of us read stuff, the tooltip, the hover nothing worked. I had to use a longer way of displaying meanings - using hidden property and a little bit of javascript for onclick event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation