Maid - netflix


When I am watching a serial in Netflix or amazon, I will be searching for something else to occupy my brains - using two windows. 

My generation is not very well known for multi-tasking. Unless it is in the department of home and kitchen. But I have burnt innumerable vessels, spilled and evaporated plenty of milk on stove, so I can't multi task in kitchen. 

Coming back to serials, at some point of time, these tend to get repetitive. How many times can you watch men/women with difficult childhoods, marital problems, irregardless solve crimes, save lives in hospitals and untangle unsolvable international crime plots with a wonderful dedication and passion? Not more than hundred, I think. And I am way past that point. 

So my ears will be listening to that suspenseful drama  unraveling, while I try to clear the next level in some game. But if you think about it, it means that these tasks do not require your complete brain. Which means that either I have a gifted brain or what I am doing are all dumb tasks.I go with the former. :)

But this serial in Netflix - Maid - had me completely engrossed. Which means there was no need to search for a second task.  It is story about a young girl who walks out of her home, with her 3 year old daughter, in the middle of the night. With a very small bag and her daughter's favorite doll.

Alex walks out because she is afraid of her boyfriend Sean now. He drinks, shouts at her and now has started hitting  walls.

But where can she go? Her mother is a kind of hippie artist who is never serious about anything and currently living in a van with her boyfriend. Her friends are mutual friends of Sean. 

She goes to a social security person and asks for housing. When the lady suggests shelter for victims of domestic violence, Alex declines it. She doesn't want to snatch the opportunity from real victims of abuse. It's not that Sean hits her or her daughter. 

And to get housing she needs to have a pay stub. What job can she get - she never went to college. 

She is directed to a company called value maids. And thus starts her job of cleaning toilets.

While she is in pursuit of jobs and assistance to keep her and her daughter alive, Sean contacts  a lawyer regarding sole custody of their daughter. And he wins the case in family court.

The struggle is real, but the girl has grit. Along with her own difficulties to survive, she has to take care of her mother too because the boyfriend disappears with their home.  

We, dear readers are lucky souls. We didn't have bad childhoods and we have a roof over head and 3 square meals. I think we should try that gratitude thing once in a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation