Fortasse ridiculum sum

In English - Perhaps I am ridiculous

I am unable to make my android app size zero. No matter how much I try. I blame gradle and my limited knowledge. So I tinker a little bit and then happily move on to other things.

Like Ozark in Netflix - that is yet another sad crime story. So I watch these kids - Ruth, Jonah and I wonder. This is not the age for them to be in world of narcotics and money laundering. They must be hating their parents, going and not going to school and trying to rebel. Secretly wishing to be rescued by their parents. 

Then when I feel upset that I am wasting my "precious" time on these frivolous TV series, I go to "brainy" apps. That is how  I restarted my duolingo Latin lessons.

And Latin lessons are different - they have a section called 'gods'. With funny sentences like 'Fortasse dei non sunt sapientes' which translates to 'Perhaps the Gods are not wise?'. So I put this sentence as my about section of whatsapp with the tiny hope that people perceive me now as 'sapiente'. I am silly. 

I also searched for other sources of Latin learning and diligently subscribed to email lessons. Sure it will go unread. But one such site asked me what is your aim of learning Latin. Made me flustered. Can I answer that I ideally want to write a Sanskrit learning app. Which requires me to learn that language and master it. But as I am not getting enough resources for that language I am learning Latin. Not because I want to be able to read and understand ancient Latin texts some day. Does it sound like a man who was searching for the item he lost in a place where there is light instead of where he lost it? 

Any ways, the truth is these tiny things make me feel I am wise - slightly and help in lifting the blues away. That is important.

Coming back to Latin and duolingo, it has funnier sentences like - psittaci irati sunt ebrii. Psittaci means parrots and ebrii is drunk - inebriated and iratus is angry. So the meaning - Angry parrots are drunk. How does one know whether the parrot is drunk? Does it sing in a drunken voice?

I understand that Latin is an ancient language - of times when there were dei or illusion of them. But what about inebriated parrots? Were the people drinking so much that they would feed alcohol to their parrots too? 

Duolingo creators, please add Sanskrit language - then I promise to leave alone your dei filled, language alone.

If you have used to app, don't you love the emojis which make faces at you when you clear a question? I do love them. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation