Sun rises

 I understand that these are writers who may not have been born exactly a  with silver spoon, but had quite a comfortable life. So they spent their time bar hopping, chasing skirts, fishing trips and lamenting secretly about their current female interest.

 ( Now I can understand the contempt less fortunate ones feel about richer people. )

I wouldn't have dared to write these lines about none other than the great Hemingway if I had not watched some youtube video about him being misogynist, racist, arrogant macho man. Well, in those days, these adjectives were not in use. So may be every white man was like that.

And I certainly didn't google for the author's bad qualities. In fact I wanted to see the beautiful Spain and its beautiful river Irati in action. Which Hemingway describes so much in the book "The sun also rises". 

But you know that, internet always provides you with answers you were never looking for.

So the sun rises, the moon sets. But shouldn't the story progress, instead of going round and round with idling and drinking. 

Agreed, the book is readable. To even the newly Netflix addicted people. Because though there are no pictures, there are dialogues :). But shouldn't the story move?

The narrator - Jake - a writer and a journalist, loves his friend Bret Ashley who is having relations with various men. This pains him extremely. She is a widow and is engaged to be married to Mike 'tight' most of the time. They all go together  to different places like, fishing villages, bull fights etc. There is fourth man  who is also obsessed with Brett. Robert Cohn who is a Jewish introvert writer, likes Bret and thinks he loves her. 

He had an unpleasant marriage. As he was mistreated for his being Jewish in college, he married the first woman who was kind to him. She divorced him.

Frances -  his bossy girlfriend has realized that she is getting on her years and must get married. She is very possessive. But since Cohn is now successful writer, he breaks makes her go to England indirectly telling her his affair with her is over.

So this is how the story goes of the book "The sun also rises" from Hemingway. I wanted to read a good book, but also a book which I could read in a 3 days, so that I would have finished my third book of the month January- towards my plan of 40 book in 2022. 

But plans fail. Always. 

The narration style reminds me of Maugham, or may be the characters are similar. 

I might have still finished the book yesterday night, if I had read the book instead of watching the Netflix limited series "The woman across the street from the girl from the window". OK-ish. But end seemed too unreal. 



 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation