Yosokawa and havyaka dialect

 Yosokawa is the Japanese industrialist in the book "Bel canto". The name reminded me the name - kavva in our dialect. 

Our havyaka dialect is a kannada dialect used by us havyaka people in coastal karnataka districts. 

Let me see how we call our family members - appayya - is appa - father. Aayi is mother. I think this word is  of Maharashtra origin. Older name for mother was abbe. Then sister - elder one is akkayya. And elder brother is annayya.  These will often have adjectives - shannannayya is younger (shanna -sanna -small) elder brother, doddannayya is bigger elder brother. Thamma or tamma is younger brother. But normally girl child is called koosu and male child is called maani. These names will stick even after they become adults and sound funny. Koosatte, manibhava etc. 

Mava, atte, chikkayya, chikki, doddappa are all similar to kannada words. But doddamma - your mother's elder sister or your uncle's wife is called doddaayi - dodda ayi. And aunt - your father's younger sibling's wife is called kavva. A funny name though. My mother reasoned it a morphed form of chikkavva . May be.

So when I read the name Hosokawa I was reminded of kavva. But strangely enough, I called my aunt attige - sister in law. Because we call our uncle anna.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation