Dahlia flowers


Dahlia also called dere huuvu in kannada is the main attraction of many household gardens in rainy seasons. Here in malnad region. 

People compete with each other and grow colourful, pretty, large and small dahlias. Their  tubers are used in Mexican cuisine, so says google. But we don’t eat these. 

And I didn’t grow these flowers in my 1 foot wide balcony in Bangalore. These are from my mom’s garden. 

Though I had once succeeded in growing few flowers in my terrace garden in Bangalore. Slightly sick looking, malnourished flowers. And of course I had written two blogposts on them demo version and plants too have demo version  

Apparently there is also a dahlia society in America. For us Indians, I hunted out a blog on how to care for dahlia plant  and one more article here. 

The best part is, the tubers remain in the soil even if the plant dies. And new plant grows in the next rainy season. But many people prefer to store these tubers in a pot to save them from worms and insects. 

You can even grow new plants from stem cuttings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಹೂಗಳು

ಎಮ್ಮೆ

Not for nation